Articles FOR SALE
I Buy / Wants Repairs
Yashica Electro 35 GX
I have never encountered this camera
before. Strangely enough, it is NOT in the Collector's Guide to Japanese Cameras.
I am told it is the last of the long line of 16 Yashica Electro cameras, vintage 1975.
This is an interesting camera with
electronic shutter, 40/1.7 6 element lens, aperture priority, parallax correction,
nice VF/RF, and convenient controls.
On the Plus Side
- Nice VF/RF with Parallax correction. This is
the only camera of the CameraQuest Compact 35 RF group besides the Canonet QL17 which has
Parallax correction. It's a very expensive feature for this class of compact
35 RF camera.
- The framelines and RF spot are a gold color, the
field of view has a darker green color, creating a contrast that makes the rangefinder and
viewfinder lines very easy to follow.
- 40/1.7 six element lens
- Aperture priority, no manual
set shutter speeds
- Electronic shutter for
increased shutter accuracy
- Shutter lock around the
- Battery check on back edge of
top plate, it lights up the frame counter
- PC connection and flash hot shoe
- Shutter speed range 1/500th
to several seconds
- Viewfinder green/red LEDs (and
on top plate) to warn of shutter speeds 1/30th and lower
- CDS cell inside filter ring, to providing exposure
compensation with most filters.
- Flash sync at all speeds via Copal shutter and PC
- Lens focuses down to 2.6', slightly closer than
usual for this camera class.
- ASA range of 25-800 (wide for this class of camera)
- Automatic flash exposure providing you use the
- Battery PC640A Alkaline cell
On the Negative Side
- No manual exposure over-ride possible, other than
adjusting ASA for compensation.
- NO indication of shutter speed, only LED's
indicating OK/Not OK.
- VERY hard to find.
This is a very nice handling, not
well known camera. Appreciate it if you can find it.
This group shot compares the size of the black Yashica 35CC, the
Yashica 35GX, and the Olympus 35RD.
November 26, 2003
. Copyright © 1998-2002
Stephen Gandy. All rights reserved. This means you may NOT
copy and re-use the text or the pictures in ANY other internet or printed
publication of ANY kind. Information in this document is subject to change
without notice. Other products and companies referred to herein are
trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies or mark